Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentines Day!

Happy Valentines Day All! I have to be honest and say that this is one of those holidays we don't really celebrate too much. It's a nice reminder to show the people around you that you care about them and thats what we do. We woke up this morning and made several more handmade cards :)









Then I got to snuggle with this adorable snuggle bear. 





Then a quick trip to the store to make Daddy something special for after dinner. My husband really likes Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cakes, but dislikes spending nearly $30 on one. I had a homemade ice cream cake once and it was really good. I started looking for recipes and here is what I came up with. It cost just under $15.00 to make and we have left over candy, cool-whip, carmel and a few ice cream sandwiches. 

What you will need
9x11 or 9x13 baking dish
Ice Cream Sandwiches - I used 18
A large tub of Cool-whip (This needs to thaw several hours in the fridge before you can begin)
Some kind of syrup (chocolate, carmel, butterscotch...)
Favorite type of candy that can be crushed


First line the pan with the sandwiches


Then add a layer of Cool-whip, syrup and crushed candy


Then another layer of sandwiches


(This time I had to cut some)

Then add another layer of Cool-Whip, syrup and candy

Place in the freezer and take out a few minutes before serving. 



For anyone interested there are around 400 calories per slice about half the size of one ice cream sandwich. I'm sure there are a lot of ways to make this healthier, but this was for my hubby so I made it his way :)

1 comment: